Monday, January 5, 2009

Painting Places

If you ever chide yourself for not seeing the environment, chances are you're not adding anything to it. If my scene partner makes the offer, "I love your new apartment," I might say something like, "thanks, this Monet was expensive, but I think it really brings the room together."

Yes, the line informs my scene partner, but it also helps me . Suddenly, I see the painting, and the wall behind it, the window to the right, the fireplace to the left, and the ceiling fan above it all. Adding a detail, like a painting, sets the mind off. I believe we can't focus on an abstract idea like "painting," but rather, like a cerebral Google image search, our brain culls all the images of paintings we know, all those moments we have interacted with a painting. It's not conscious, but I think the reference images are there, waiting to be used. As an improviser, just tap into the stream of images. The window, fireplace, ceiling fan, etc. flows from one simple addition, a painting.

I use this trick myself. I hope it helps you, because seeing an environment should be fun, not stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment